Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for most can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to find out an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This short article will attempt to answer some of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do You Have to Eliminate the Old Lawn. Yes, You must eliminate the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will guarantee that whenever you plant the brand new lawn the roots can penetrate through the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you must take into account the grade where your yard currently sits as well as the volume of soil that you must install for the new lawn. In certain special instances when you may give a layer of the latest soil without having to be above grade, you might leave the existing lawn set up. New lawns will demand the absolute minimum depth of 3 inches of a well draining soil, full of nutrients. Most lawn removals could be completed with the aid of sod cutter, employing a bobcat as well as an excavator in difficult to access yards can be a hazard and might create more work than initially planned.
Soil For That New Lawn. Soil to your new lawn is very important to plant health insurance and good growing conditions. Your brand-new lawn will see far better growth through the years if a quality top soil is installed. Most of the time the better expensive the soil, the better quality.
The ideal lawn ought to be made with a minimum of 3″ of any well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at the very least 70% sand as well as the sub grade needs to be self draining. Soils which contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that have paper recycling waste and also a strong odor ought to be avoided also. Typically topsoil today is manufactured from compost, make sure you ask your supplier the items in the soil and ensure the composting process is finished. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance ought to be requested from the supplier.
Kind of Sod or Seed. Sod or also referred to as turf will be the preferred method of installing a whole new lawn. Sod could be installed year round and turf farms are ready to accept supply all year round.
The wide range of grass seed or sod to utilize will depend on:
1. Using your lawn area. This consists of the volume of traffic that the lawn area is subjected to, including pets and youngsters.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive a minimum of 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures inside your climate.
Generally turf which comes from a sod farm or supplier will carry a number of sod that is perfect for residential usages. Sod farms will grow types of grasses that fair well for first time lawns with heavy traffic and shade. Sometimes specialty grasses are available for low maintenance. Make sure to ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a new lawn can be completed with these simple steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls so the seams tend not to match at the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing some extra work and spending some extra time pulling the joints in the turf rolls together will ensure the grass covers all the soil. In the event you leave gaps involving the turf rolls, weeds may grow in the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be quite a complicated job should you don’t take the time to get it done properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into place using a sharp knife. You might niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together over time. You do not have to waste any other turf pieces.
4. Water the sod as you install. Do not let the turf dry up at any point. When the sod is able to dry, shrinkage may occur on the seams as well as the turf may die. Installing sod on the hot day may require frequent watering so be sure you are prepared ahead of time.
5. Roll the newest lawn once you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn is a very rewarding task and gives instant beautification for any property.